Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Is it over yet? or, procrastination central


This is an illustration done by a student in the illustration dept, Morgan Blair, I think it's really good.

I finished my children's book class critique today. We were critiqued by 4 people in the publishing biz, they work at Houghton-Mifflin and Candlewick Press and others. It was positive, for sure, and the feedback was stupendously helpful and bang-on. I need to work on my colours, they said, also to resolve the ending a bit. Will do, I say! I wish that I could take a watercolour painting class, as I really don't know what I'm doing! Oh well. I'll try to work on it over the holidays. One young woman from our class, Kate Pfeiffer, got chosen today by one of the publishers to get her book, "Crying is for Babies", published. That is sooo great! Her book is a young reader chapter book, it has about 4 chapters. Her book genuinely cracks me up, she has a perfect ear for how kids talk/think. She is graduating next semester. She kind of struggled throughout the semester in working in the picture book format, she was always kind of forcing a sweet style, but the easy-reader format is so perfect for her. Wow.

I didn't get any sleep last night, working on putting my book dummy together. Now that I'm done that project I'm completely avoiding going to my painting studio. I told my teacher I wasn't going to finish all four paintings required for the final project, because I couldn't see it possible to do 3.5 paintings in one week, plus a kids book dummy, plus two finished illustrations for that class.

I am feeling completely BAD about this. I have never sloughed off an assignment before. My teacher said I wouldn't fail, but it would bring my mark down, and I'm really afraid people are going to totally nail me for it in my crit. I do not want to go to studio, but I have to. Please God, let the next two days (a two-day long crit, no less) go by painlessly then I can scurry away from here with my tail between my legs. O, the pressure! & shame! I wish I could take some drug to make it all go by in a blur of painlessness. Is this too dramatic?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

or you could run away with me to budapest!!!! but i think you are running to new york instead, if i remember correctly?
defiently looking forward to the dinner on the 12th. i'll bake a rum cake!

Unknown said...

Yay for Lianne! Can't wait!!! Wow, Budapest sounds very exotic!

Anonymous said...

I suggest ritalin or dexadrin. You'll get everything done and forget all emotions... sounds like RISD! Ha-bang!
Don't worry, this'll alllllll be over. Now. Right now. YOU ARE DONE!!!!

Denise said...

yes!!!!

A. said...

I know the name of the girl who made this drawing. It is Morgan Blair. She was with me in my webdesign class ! she is really talented ;)
have a great trip in NY see you! www.amaurypoudray.com

Denise said...

Yeah! Morgan Blair, thanks Amaury!